Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Garage Makeover

We transformed our garage into a playroom a number of years ago. We had the idea of doing it right after Bear's Hannah Montana birthday party. We had put carpet in the garage for the dance party and then loved having the extra room that we decided to leave it that way.

Unfortunately we just have too much stuff and our garage ended up being a "dump" zone. We would clean it up and it would look nice again but then it would get messy again. I mean seriously look at how bad it got at the beginning of summer. Yes, that is a piano in our garage. Don't ask.

We ended up doing a garage sale and made a good profit to renovate our garage. Plus we found an amazing deal on this shed. It's a $700 shed that we got for $180 on craigslist. I have been looking for years for a shed. My love worked hard and put it together. We loaded a lot of stuff into it and then were able to start on our garage.
 

The plan for the garage was renovating it into a playroom / sewing room / man cave my hubby and his buddies. I have a really hard time committing to colors. I absolutely love bright colors but the problem is I love to many color schemes. I decided that the first thing I needed to do was pick out the colors I wanted in the garage. I decided on these fabrics. I thought pops of orange and lime would add some funkiness to the garage.

Here is what our garage looked like in the very beginning.

And here it is now. So exciting. I LOVE the way it turned out. We got everything for super cheep or free which makes me love the transformation even more.

We got to re-carpet the entire garage. Someone we knew had some connections with a guy that was getting rid of 2 year old carpet and padding.
 
The couch we got at a rummage sale for $4. It was an old couch from a youth group room. Not so pretty but super dooper comfortable. I made some pillows to spruce it up a little.

This SA-WEET orange recliner we got from craigslist. We actually found this recliner on craigslist after we were done with the garage but when I saw it for $5 I had to have it. It was perfect. Nothing yells out "Man Cave" like an orange recliner. The lady was just happy to get rid of it that she ended up giving it to us for free. My love LOVES this thing.

The door well other than paying for the tiny $2 samples of paint it was free too.

This side of the room is way more organized too.

Our more than organized shoe shelf. Not many changes in this area.
 

The lockers...you all know these were free. And the bike rack we got a while ago.


Now for the other side of the garage. The organized shelves. We were able to put an entire gorilla rack in the shed so that gave us a ton of extra space.

Okay this is the most exciting part. At least in my opinion. Its my personal favorite part of the garage. My sewing area which is hidden behind the couch. I turned my old sewing chest that was in our kitchen into a toy box for the kids. Just painted it lime and had my love put some new slow closing hinges on it. It works perfect and holds a ton of toys.

My sewing desk was a garage sale find. The cabinet drawers were from craigslist and fit perfectly under my desk.

My new sewing cabinet was also a craigslist find. It was exactly what I was looking for. I was so excited when I saw this. It fits all of my things perfectly. I spruced it up with some clearance boxes I got for $2 at IKEA and one of the buttons from Bear's Runway party.


I loved how everything came together. Our family is constantly out in the room. It literally feels like the fun room and we are always hanging out out there. My love and I sit out there just to talk about our day and we have even had a movie night already out there.

I'm so glad it turned out like I had imagined. Now if I can only get my bedroom done.

No comments:

Post a Comment